Author Topic: Hundred dollar hamburger  (Read 15417 times)

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
  • DammifIknow where we're going!"
Hundred dollar hamburger
« on: December 04, 2007, 02:59:42 PM »
Wahhh ! My heart bleeds.  ::complaining:If he's that cheap ,he can borrow Chucks' scooter to get around. He needs to show us he's a real man ,uh er chicken, and help keep GA alive by jumping in the Cessna with Chuck ,and go get that burger |:)\ |:)\ |:)\Priorities man ! Like the beggar said in "Fiddler On The Roof" : "So because you had a bad day, I should suffer ?"  ;)  Or was his candy factory caught with the other chocolate mfgrs here that got caught manipulating the market ? Hmmm?   ::thinking::
A&P / IA. by profession, Parrothead by choice.

airtac

Re: Hundred dollar hamburger
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:33:59 PM »
Having filled my wife's SUV yesterday, I can relate to this one ::eek::

When the hamburgers get too expensive I guess we'll be switching to 100 dollar cups of free FBO coffee ::sick::

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 05:39:27 PM »
These days I refer to it as either the $500 Hamburger or the $1000 Hamburger.  The days of a hundred dollar hamburger are long past!
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 12:30:17 AM »
Great strip, really funny!

100 USD will give you 50 1/2 minutes flight in in the local flyingclub's 1978 Cessna C172N.
100 USD will give you 13.2 us gallons of RON 95 octane unlead passenger-car gasoline at a danish Shell-station (todays prices/rates).

13.2 us gallons will give over 450 (ground) miles if used in my mom's 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6, or over 490 miles in our former 2001 Peugeot 206 1.4, my dad's old 84 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Diesel would stretch that to 777 miles however.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 04:33:09 AM »
Uhm, yeah.

Dancing Bear:
This strip wasn't about making the Captain look cheap, but rather to raise awareness, that fuel prices are spiraling out of control!!

Rooster:
Sad, but so true . . .

This strip is almost not funny, huh?!
(kinda like the ones we did about noise complaints....)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 04:34:37 AM »

13.2 us gallons will give over 450 (ground) miles if used in my mom's 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6, or over 490 miles in our former 2001 Peugeot 206 1.4, my dad's old 84 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Diesel would stretch that to 777 miles however.

Well to take it one step further.. $100 will get you 19.3 gallons of Jet A at todays price in Redding, (not including taxes). Based upon the Forest service burn rate charts that will last 30 minutes in "LaFawnduh" and we can fly about 60nm or it will last 46 minutes in "Lucy" and we can fly about 80nm.  ::whistle:: ::whistle::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 04:47:54 AM »
And, from the Starving Pilot perspective, well...  $100 will buy you (I know, because it bought ME):

2.5 Yamaha 350 motorcycles...  yupper, $40 for a beat-up Yamaha that got me to work for a YEAR.... (not to mention, the Halloween party where it did, of its own propulsion, drive up on to the porch, and thereby, into the kitchen of a fellow crew-member who was DUMB enough to tell me where his party was....)

5.0 Harley motorcycles..  albeit with leaky gas lines, that required clothespins be clamped on them every day at work...  yup yup, $20 for a Harley....  (lasted one year as well...)

Aw, this one took a calculator....  The Ole Subie...  well-known across several states...    $100 would buy 0.40 of a Subaru...   ahh, now we KNOW we are living the HIGH life of a real Aviator..........   wow, talk about luxury and the costs of wasteful excess!!!  And, she ran (despite all odds), 10+ YEARS...  wow...... 

::bow::               ::bow::                ::bow::                 ::bow::                   ::bow::                    ::bow::                      ::bow::                       ::bow::

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 06:17:09 AM »

Well to take it one step further.. $100 will get you 19.3 gallons of Jet A at todays price in Redding, (not including taxes). Based upon the Forest service burn rate charts that will last 30 minutes in "LaFawnduh" and we can fly about 60nm or it will last 46 minutes in "Lucy" and we can fly about 80nm.  ::whistle:: ::whistle::

Of course if you wanted to go for a flight, then $100 would buy you:

5 minutes & 48 seconds in "LaFawnduh"  OR

7 minutes & 32 seconds in "Lucy" 

Now you need to subtract a total of 4 minutes for the warm up and cool down, leaving a WOPPING:

1 minute 48 seconds of flight in "LaFawnduh"  OR

3 minutes 32 seconds in "Lucy"

I'm ready and waiting to sign Ya'll up.. ::whistle:: ::whistle::

Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
  • DammifIknow where we're going!"
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 12:58:34 AM »
Now that I've gotten that tirade out of my system.......I still think Chuck should allow him to use the scooter. For a very MINOR fee that is .

On a different note , Soccer Mom I like the new avatar on this post !  Looks might good, but then I want a bird like a certain leader of that mob of unruly scofflaws known as "Parrot Heads" owned. Yes , I mean "The Hemisphere Dancer", Gawd I get sweaty just thinking about that airplane !!! 
A&P / IA. by profession, Parrothead by choice.

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 02:20:14 AM »
Not Hemisphere Dancer but for enough cash you can have your own HU-16....

http://www.vickivt.com/vicki/v00194.htm

By the way, I'd love an Albatross myself.... Can anyone say Flying Camper?

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 05:54:39 AM »
One more example:  $100.00 will buy you 8 minutes 19 seconds of flight time in da Platypus, not counting start up and taxi.   ::eek:: ::unbelieveable:: ::complaining: ::banghead:: ::rambo::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 06:37:03 AM »
Hey Bear! 

Glad you like the splashing airplane...  trust me, I wish I had one to splash around in!    :D

I just stumbled across some old photos of a few other splashing airplanes...  will see if I can get them in here...  we can always dream, right??

And Brian, if you want to see some Albatrosses, if you're ever near Carson City Nevada, check out the local airport...   they're lined up like ducks...  it always seems funny to see them sitting high and dry in the baking desert sand, though....   ::sweat::  (I bet THEY talk to each other at night.....)   ::thinking:: 

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 02:21:24 PM »
Hey Bear! 

Glad you like the splashing airplane...  trust me, I wish I had one to splash around in!    :D

I just stumbled across some old photos of a few other splashing airplanes...  will see if I can get them in here...  we can always dream, right??

And Brian, if you want to see some Albatrosses, if you're ever near Carson City Nevada, check out the local airport...   they're lined up like ducks...  it always seems funny to see them sitting high and dry in the baking desert sand, though....   ::sweat::  (I bet THEY talk to each other at night.....)   ::thinking:: 

Mom, it should not be too surprising to see those Albatrosses at Carson City airport.  Remember that Lake Tahoe is just across the mountain range to the west of Carson, so it is a perfect maintenance base for that guy who restores Albatross who lives there.  I understand that fellow is THE Albatross guru.  People call him worldwide with questions on the proper care and feeding of the old Grumman flying boats.  Great airport to go snooping around at, but no restaurant so you gotta catch a cab into town for the $500 Hamburger.   ::complaining:

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 09:47:55 PM »
Yeah, it's a great airport to nose around...  and there are lots of nice folks there, too...  they've always been super to us when we're based out of there.

Yeah, Tahoe's real close, but hell, if I had that many water machines, I'd be near some SERIOUS water....  not sitting in the middle of the desert.  The guys there said that owner is the go-to guy on the Albatross...  I've seen one of his, all restored and nice, at some airshow somwhere, I can't even recall where it was, but we were doing demo jumps for the show, and got to check out their airplane...  man, it would be some FUN just to go fly one of those to PLAY....  like Gordy says, that float stuff is such a blast....   :D

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 08:54:27 PM »
Pah, you US-side guys don't know you're born!   £1.42 per litre I pay for avgas for my little tommyhawk now!

(what's that once I convert it to dollars and gallons -- almost $10 dollars a gallon...?)

We have the £100 Bacon Butty...