Author Topic: What's the most amazing flying machine you've seen in person?  (Read 106861 times)

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
Re: What's the most amazing flying machine you've seen in person?
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2006, 01:43:04 AM »
:o that's a lot of holes in that thing! But they are designed to be able to handle that, and isn't the design actually a low newer than other jets like the Falcon, Eagle and Tomcat?

I also didn't really know if they had female fighter pilotes yet but I guess they have, well done indeed to keep cool in that situation, even if I heard the cockpit is lined with armoured plating.

About the gun, isn't it so high-powered that it can only fire short bursts or it'll melt from overheating (or something like that)? You can also see the nosewheel is offset, which I guess is for clearence from the gun.

And on a space subject, is there a bigger version of that picture, I love the Valkyrie and seeing something similar used for space is fantastic to see. I actually have some thing about spaceflying/shuttles I've thought about, could I ask that here (in a seperate thread of course).

The Firehog sounds interesting, but I still think the 747 supertanker I've seen is the most extreme firefighterplane I've seen.

Ok I hope I got around to replying to all the new posts.

Frank
The gun does overheat if used in long bursts, but normally one doesn't need a long burst from it.  As noted earlier, if you've ever heard the gun fire, it sounds like an elephant breaking wind rather than a *bang*bang*bang*.  It's almost a single humming tone.

Sorry I don't have any bigger photos of that plane.  I'd love to see one myself! :)
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2006, 05:39:29 AM »
I think I've heard the A-10 fire on a Discovery documentary and it is indeed extremely fast and no bang-bang sound!

So the Eagle has a lifting-body section, I didn't know that, I thought the Fulcrum and Flanker were first with that but maybe that's just because I haven't read that much about details on figherplanes due to lack of material. The liftingbody also explains how it could at all fly since a while wing missing would normally make that totally impossible wouldn't it? It would just roll or fall sideways down wouldn't it? Btw I think I actually saw the missing wing picture as well, yikes!

Regarding the 747 then it's computercontrolled with several small tanks and the upper deck has a logistics center so it's not just a simple tanker that can just give one uncontrolled drop and then it's useless. I can't remember the companyname but there were online videos which showed how it functioned. But I do know that firefighting requires a lot more than just the plane but also people on the ground, experts to direct all forces etc.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2006, 05:57:42 AM »
To Ted:

Thanks for the technical info. Lift-bodies are awesome! On the TV-show they made it look like even the engineers and designers were still surprised though that it made it home, lift-body or not...
But I am with you, it's gonna be sad to see the F-15 go. I still think it is one of the best fighters ever made.

To Frank:

Computer controlled or not, somebody still has to fly it there and some air-attack guy still has to tell the driver where he wants the drop (just like you said). There is always a big difference between an online video that's supposed to prove the concept and what's really happening out in the field. I am sticking with my suspicions about this project being too big to function right and ending up being a flop...
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

fireflyr

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2006, 03:25:12 PM »
Frank,
 the company tanking a 47 is Evergreen Airlines from Oregon, I've talked at length with one of the project leaders (can't remember name) and even he agreed it's use on fires would be severly limited due to terrain considerations.   Like I said earlier, it will be just another tool to use and all tools don't work in the same situation.  If it works, it will be a welcome addition but it's not a tool to end all other tools.

Jim

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2006, 03:46:22 PM »
To Ted:

Thanks for the technical info. Lift-bodies are awesome! On the TV-show they made it look like even the engineers and designers were still surprised though that it made it home, lift-body or not...
But I am with you, it's gonna be sad to see the F-15 go. I still think it is one of the best fighters ever made.

To Frank:

Computer controlled or not, somebody still has to fly it there and some air-attack guy still has to tell the driver where he wants the drop (just like you said). There is always a big difference between an online video that's supposed to prove the concept and what's really happening out in the field. I am sticking with my suspicions about this project being too big to function right and ending up being a flop...

Oh yes... engineers here were surprised indeed!  The post-flight analysis and computer simulations showed that it is indeed possible to fly the plane like that, but it is not an easy thing to do, nor recommended in the p.o.h.  ;D

He was one lucky pilot, and any other plane would have augered in without a doubt.

Also, while I'm not familiar with firefighting flying, based on what I know about aviation, and such, I am inclined to agree with you, Mike, about your opinion on the 747 tanker.   Seems to me that aircraft that strike a compromise between maneuverability and lifting capacity are the ones ideally suited.... though an A-10 FireHog could also be very interesting to see.

One other post on here noted that it looks like the nose gear is offset on the front of the A-10 due to the 30mm gun up front.  Just wanted to also say that that observation is correct.  One more reason why they say they "built the plane around the gun".

We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Have Blue

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2006, 02:32:07 AM »
Just like the P-39, eh?
"I'm sure as hell not a killer, but flying combat is like a game, and a guy likes to come out on top."
-George Preddy, P-51 ace

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2006, 07:37:54 PM »
Indeed! they did build the plane around the gun actually...
I have to say that the Eurofighter will just blow us all away...i mean..missle locks would be useless ! why ? cause it moves so damn fast that the missles wont catch up!

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2006, 07:58:20 PM »
Indeed! they did build the plane around the gun actually...
I have to say that the Eurofighter will just blow us all away...i mean..missle locks would be useless ! why ? cause it moves so damn fast that the missles wont catch up!

Yeah... but who needs missles when you have high energy weapons that travel at light speed :)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2006, 09:48:44 PM »
I heard that scientists found another element that's far heavier and thicker
than the uranium the use in the A-10 bullets. It has twice the atomic weight of uranium.
Would make a good armor for armored vehicles and such:

It's called "governmentum"
Nothing gets through that one!!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 09:35:20 PM by Mike »

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2006, 02:28:02 PM »
Except the TOW missle, it just carves through ANYTHING! Including NASA rocket armor (i do not know what metal it has)
Tow is basically a shoot to kill missle...it fires and if you get struck....your dead...
The second missle that would penetrate it would be the Javelin.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2006, 09:28:16 PM »
no way!
I stand by it...NOTHING get's through "governmentum" !! ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 09:34:58 PM by Mike »

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2006, 09:40:57 PM »
no way!
I satnd by it...NOTHING get's through "governmentum" !! ;D

I'd have to agree with you on that one, Mike!  ;D

Other substances the government is good for inventing are:

Absurdium, red tape #5, red ink #2, and illogicum.

The government has also been the source for a number of new medical malaise's;

Taxemspendumitis, entitlementfossilistis, voterapathitis, and others.

Just remember.... "pro" is the opposite of "con".  therefore, Congress is the opposite of progress!

;D

Offline Have Blue

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2006, 11:07:40 PM »
Watch it!  You might get arrested through that new "Government Knows Best Act!" :o
"I'm sure as hell not a killer, but flying combat is like a game, and a guy likes to come out on top."
-George Preddy, P-51 ace

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2006, 02:08:30 AM »
I guess we'll find out if big brother is really watching us pretty soon, huh?!
If you guys try to log in tomorrow and the website is gone, you will know what happened... ;)

Our FAA inspector is the one who told me about govermentum. I am sure he know all about it ;)
In return I showed him our FAA strip, he liked it!

He said we should use their other motto in a strip as well:
"We're here to help!
And don't forget, we're not happy until you're not happy!"

fireflyr

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2006, 03:36:29 AM »
I'm actually surprised to see so many people familiar with "Governmentum"--It was developed under Class 1-A "need to know" secrecy at the Bovine Scatology Lab in Livermore Laboratory.   We, in the CIA, were told to kill anyone who even mentions the program---I'll have to ask all of you to travel to SFO next week and surrender your life!
Call me first so I can arrange for disposition of your bodies.   The number is BR549--ext 69.