Author Topic: Request: Aircraft Piston Engines 101  (Read 12801 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Request: Aircraft Piston Engines 101
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 06:06:18 AM »
ok, when I said they're old tractor engine, I was simply referring to the sturdy built, the huge cubic inches compared to their horse power, and the way they sound . . .
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 01:00:51 PM »
Oh sorry, my mistake.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 03:39:50 PM »
the Tiger has two cylinders removed (at least on the left side) and on the top right you see the oil-cooler.
in the front, underneath the ring-gear on the prop, you can see the starter

Actually it has all 4 Cylinders pulled.... Compressions were too low so it's getting new rings and pistons. There's a possibility that my company may buy this plane to fix up and use it as the company "hack". It's use would be for things like parts runs, flying a mechanic to another airport for a quick repair job and for anyone who works here to get their pilots licences. About 80% of our pilots are CFI's and we even have 2 FAA Check Airmen in house so that would be pretty nice, Almost like another benefit.

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 08:52:56 PM »
Back to Mikes nice writing about Boxer: not to forget to mention, this type of engine became, unsuprisingly, the standart of Ferdinands later car production - world-known Porsche brand.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Franz

• Cockerel
  • Glider Pilot
    • Sportfluggruppe Leck
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 08:47:53 PM »
Of course, the large Lycomings and Continentals are the typical aircraft engines, but there are also some others.
For example Rotax (smaller engines for light planes) and Thielert (diesel aircraft engines)

Maybe, when I have a little more time, I'll write more than just posting links to Wikipedia, but at the moment I'm quite busy with all kinds of school-related stuff.