Author Topic: A Question for you Current CFIs, AND Active Students (PPL, CPL, Inst., etc.)  (Read 26969 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
That's interesting, about the "pretend" radio and controllers.  I appreciate your post.  I was lucky to have an initial flight instructor who understood how broke I was, and I spent many, many hours in the parked airplane, on the ramp, all tied down.  I practiced checklists, and radio communication, and all the various things you can simulate for FREE.  It was a huge help.

Fast forward....  In a lot of the fire training we do with new people, we use "simulations".  They're exercises that start wtih "fake" fires and then work their way up to incredibly complex fires, bit by bit.  Many "actors" are scattered out in the forest, all calling in and demanding that airplanes respond.  Radios are congested, and broken, and garbled.  People "get lost" and want us to help find them.  "Helicopters" and "airtankers" all come hurtling into our airspace, all walking over each other (to add to the stress level for the poor FNG).  They're incredibly realistic, and the guys who get the benefit of the "sims" do a much, much better job when we hit "the real world" a few months later.

So, I have come to really appreciate the value of that type of training.  If it's done well, it's a huge help.   ::bow::

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Louis

On the Canadian side you have to get a radio certificate prior to your first solo. There's a short written exam, but I'd say it does not focus as much on phraseology as it could.

There's this document to prepare for the exam: RIC-21 Study Guide for the Radiotelephone Operator's Restricted Certificate (Aeronautical)

Page 26 does contain "Procedural Words and Phrases" which a pilot is expected to know.

Goodbye,

Louis

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Thanks, Louis.  I appreciate the information. 

I'm still hearing more frequent non-standard terms over the air....  it just makes me wonder why the CFIs flying with these new people are not FIXING this!!!   ::banghead::

8)

airtac

Thanks, Louis.  I appreciate the information. 

I'm still hearing more frequent non-standard terms over the air....  it just makes me wonder why the CFIs flying with these new people are not FIXING this!!!   ::banghead::

8)
Ah my little frustrated fuchsia,
I believe the answer to that question is that most CFI's can't teach what they weren't taught ::rambo::

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Ah my little frustrated fuchsia,

This is why I love coming to this site----daddy airtac's oneliners.. ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::whistle:: ::whistle::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!    ::bow::   ::bow::

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Me three!!

Frank

P.S. Thanks for the PM Jim ::wave::
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
AHH the banter  ::rofl::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

airtac

Me three!!

Frank

P.S. Thanks for the PM Jim ::wave::
You are welcome--friend to friend ::wave::

Offline Skid Kid

• Fledgling
  • Zulu Time!
My CFI didn't tell me squat about pilot/controller glossary, I had to stumble upon it myself.  ::loony::
Don't worry, it'll buff out.

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
I saw the other day that someone has written a book called "25 Things My Instructor Didn't Tell Me" I think the members of this forum could add another 25 EACH!!!  :D  >:D
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
aye number one: whats the big fan thingy at the front lol
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
I saw the other day that someone has written a book called "25 Things My Instructor Didn't Tell Me" I think the members of this forum could add another 25 EACH!!!  :D  >:D

I had a rather acerbic instructor for a lot of my training -- 25 thins he did tell me might be more fun...

Starting with...

"Stop doing that to the engine, it's the only one we've got and if you break it we'll be stuck up here all night."

airtac

"BE UP HERE ALL NIGHT"  ::rofl::
I like that! |:)\

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
"Stop doing that to the engine, it's the only one we've got and if you break it we'll be stuck up here all night."

Ah, yes.  Gotta love that British Humor!  Hehe.
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall