Author Topic: Headsets  (Read 4652 times)

Offline JerradsDad

Headsets
« on: November 04, 2007, 11:45:02 PM »
My 17 Year old son just got his pilots license, and I want to get him a noise cancelling headset. He flies a Cessna 172. Since he is planning a career in aviation I want to get him something that will last him for some time. The flight school recommends $1000 Bose. I have been an electronics technician for 35 years and have found most all Bose CONSUMER equipment to be over priced junk. Is this true of their headsets? What do you suggest? Thanks for the help, I'm lost on this one.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Headsets
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 02:20:35 AM »
With my company Bose headsets are fairly popular.   Telex and Lightspeeds are the two other well known brands.

Bose seems to be the standard that everyone measures against as far as aviation headsets go.   

I think the flight school or instructor does get a discount or incentive for recommending bose, but they are popular among pilots without that reason to buy/sell as well.

My big complaint is price, but they are immensely popular among airline pilots.   The Telex and Lightspeed headsets also seem to be good units if you are looking for a little less sticker shock on price.   However, all around aviation ANR is pretty spendy.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:51:36 AM »
Go with David Clark. The Bose are the best sounding but they are too flimsy and do not last. The DC's are not quite as good on the sound but last forever. I had a pair for just over 5 years, (the warranty last 5yrs...), before the headband broke, and bear in mind at the time I was flying about 1300 hrs a year..I sent it back to DC with a note.."I am a professional pilot etc, please repair and send back ASAP, here's my CC #  yada yada yada". Two days later I got a BRAND NEW headset fedex overnight-ed---get this NO CHARGE. You cant kill a David Clark.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:30:29 AM »
don't have noise cancelling but I've had the same David Clarks since I started flying professionally 12 years ago.

never owned Bose, so I have no comparison...
but 12 years without any problems says something, right?!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:33:41 AM »
JerradsDad: Hi and welcome and congratulations to your son and best wishes for his future  |:)\ ::wave::

Mike: What model headset is that?

Frank
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 05:35:46 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 02:59:59 PM »
I have Bose headsets in the Platypus.  They have excellent sound quality, but the set on my side just broke where the headband connects to the earpiece.  I am constantly having to replace the foam earcups and microphone covers as well.

Now, I also have 2 David Clark H10-40 headsets that I bought over 20 years ago.  They are not ANR sets, but they do a great job of noise reduction in a Cessna cockpit.  Aside from having to replace the earcups (sent to me at no charge by David Clark) a few years ago, I have had nothing but perfect service out of them.

The Bose headsets are very pricy, and they just do not last.  Go with David Clark ANR sets if they make them and you will not be disappointed.

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 04:56:47 PM »
I'd like to add that we do have some guys with DC ANR headsets as well.

I'd also like to point out that the new style fancy ANR looks pretty similiar to the bose in construction, not quite the same as the old school ones.  They don't feel nearly as heavy duty to me either.

My AVComm headset has lasted really well, especially considering the amount of abuse it gets.  They have started making an ANR headset now and the only reason I haven't bought one of those is the battery life.  They told me to expect 8 hours, and when we can fly 10 in a day it's just not nearly long enough.

Offline JerradsDad

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 01:32:15 AM »
Thank you to all who replied. I bought him the David Clark X11 Headset. $749.00...........A little less than the Bose.

Robert

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 03:49:17 AM »
Thank you to all who replied. I bought him the David Clark X11 Headset. $749.00...........A little less than the Bose.

Robert

good deal!

I am sure he'll be very happy with it!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »

Robert

That's a good headset, should serve him well.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 04:03:09 PM »
Congrats Dad.  Your boy should get decades of service out of them.
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

airtac

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 05:51:49 PM »
I got the X-11 this year because they plug into the power on our airplanes (no battery needed) but I prefer the Bose for personal flying because of better attenuation--
Let me add that the DC company support is the best in the business |:)\ while Bose sucks........ :-[