Author Topic: Finally... In the air again!  (Read 10677 times)

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
Re: Finally... In the air again!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 04:37:45 AM »

ALWAYS go with your "little voice".  In flying, it's known to never lie to one.   ::bow::  You are wise to see this already.   ::bow::

Very true! The little voice in my head told me there was no Easter Bunny... and I consider that a reliable piece of information since the voice was Santa Claus.

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 06:01:08 AM »
I remember my driving instructor one time had his foot on the extra clutch pedal as I was about to start driving, I respectfully said that it was a little distracting for my feel with the car and he apologies and said it was a habbit when driving with girls/young women since he'd had experience with them letting go of the pedals if they saw a cute boy on the sidewalk. I really hope they get rid of that habbit when they're driving and the car is in gear, and for the record, the minimim driving age in Denmark is 18, and you have to learn by a licensed instructor, no homeschooling on a sidestreet with your parents.

I do seem to have heard that you can get a glider-license when you're maybe 16 in Denmark though?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 10:20:11 AM »
Quite much like that in Slovakia as well.... I think legal limits is GPL at 15, PPL at 17 and Drivers at 18. Still not sure how would I react if my instructor were about to ride the pedals for me. So long I have only had one of my parents in our family Daewoo next to me, and there is no pedals in that :)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
Flew yesterday morning with her.
On takeoff and climbout she had her hand on the yoke.
I looked at her and asked if she wanted the airplane, she said "No, you're doing fine."
I replied that I can't consider myself as having done fine if my instructor feels compelled to
hold the controls, and that it made me very nervous.
She said "OK" and let go of the controls.

After that, it was a very enjoyable flight. We did ground reference maneuvers, and after the first couple attempts, I was able to
do well on the S turns over a road, a rectangular pattern, and turning circles around a point, without losing so much as 10 feet in the
process.
We had to land at an alternate airport as Little Rock had a freak temporary IFR condition, then we took off and returned with an IFR flight plan (had to
land to get an approach plate), which we turned into a special VFR as we got closer. So, I logged .1 hrs "actual" in my 2.1 hr flight.
Even with the reduced visibility and no good horizon for all the haze, I was far more comfortable flying yesterday than during the previous flight,
and was able to keep my mind on the task at hand.

Thanks for the advice, folks. She's only been an instructor for 3 months, and I think there's hope.

airtac

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 07:12:01 PM »

ALWAYS go with your "little voice".  In flying, it's known to never lie to one.   ::bow::  You are wise to see this already.   ::bow::

8)

|:)\Soccermom ::bow::
That's so true, I wish I'd said it ::bow::

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 08:48:48 PM »
Glad she let go for you. Sounds like she maybe just needed the heads up of how her actions inspire/confuse the student. Hope it goes well from here on out for you.
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 09:30:18 PM »
I thought I'd update this post to my case. After a year and a half absence, today I finally once again climbed into the cockpit of a Cessna Dollar Seventy-two, and rotated dat propeller. The flight was if I never really left the cockpit. I was with an instructor for this time. I have to go once more again with an instructor to do a simulated engine failure and few other things. I could've done them today, but although my skills weren't very rusty, my stomach was starting to speak to me. Rather than risk being "Digestively Challenged" in the plane without a plastic bag, I though best to come back down for today, and finish the rest of the lesson later. My skills are good, just need to get the ol' stomach used to it again. I'll go with the strippers, but until my stomach is settled, I'll forgo the beer for today. My face is still beaming!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
FLYING ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::cowboy:: ::cowboy:: ::cowboy:: ::cowboy::
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 09:49:01 PM by FlyboyGil »
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 01:48:47 AM »
I thought I'd update this post to my case. After a year and a half absence, today I finally once again climbed into the cockpit of a Cessna Dollar Seventy-two, and rotated dat propeller. The flight was if I never really left the cockpit. I was with an instructor for this time. I have to go once more again with an instructor to do a simulated engine failure and few other things. I could've done them today, but although my skills weren't very rusty, my stomach was starting to speak to me. Rather than risk being "Digestively Challenged" in the plane without a plastic bag, I though best to come back down for today, and finish the rest of the lesson later. My skills are good, just need to get the ol' stomach used to it again. I'll go with the strippers, but until my stomach is settled, I'll forgo the beer for today. My face is still beaming!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WAY TOO GO GILLY!!!!!!   |:)\ ::wave:: Way glad to hear you are back there Rotatin' Dat Prop!!!!   ::drinking:: and <insert G-mans stripper smilie here>  ;D all 'round mate...Congrats again!!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:31:28 AM by gibbo_335 »
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 07:05:23 AM »

RIGHT ON, GILLY!!!!!  YOU ROCK, DUDE!!!!!!!!!!! ::cowboy:: ::cowboy:: ::cowboy:: ::cowboy:: ::cowboy::

We'll forgo the usual beer and strippers on account of your "delicate" stomach condition.  ;)  Next time, try to eat some starchy foods before you slip the surly bonds of earth.  Something that'll line your stomach and stick to your ribs.  Biscuit and Gravy is a good pre-flight meal, so is Oatmeal or Grits.  Try to avoid greasy food.  You want something that will absorb the extra stomach acid your stomach produces when under stress, otherwise it starts attacking the lining of your stomach and you get queasy.   ::sick::

I actually learned this lesson some years before I started flying while I was serving in the US Navy.  Uncle Sam's Gray Ship Cruise Line has had plenty of experience with seasick landlubbers who needed to acquire their "sea legs" quick.  I applied that advice to my aviation career and it has never let me down.  I have also given that advice to students who had trouble with airsickness and it helped each and every one of them.

Now all we gotta do is convince you to keep at it long enought to get yer PPL.  Hehe   ;D

Again, Congrats and ^555555555555's Gilly!!!  <Insert Rock and Roll Guitar Smiley here>
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:08:01 AM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 12:08:43 PM »
thought i would be able to get behind the sticks of one of my model planes this morning first time in months.......but forgot to put in a crystal into the reciver  ::complaining: ::eek:: ::loony:: only found that out when i was putting the reciver in at the field after taking it from the spare cabbnet (DOH!!) could that be a chuck moment?
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »
Thanks for the kudos guys. I have my private license already, but it was layoff that made me quit flying for a while :-[ But now I'm getting my recurrency, and then once again be able to fly anywhere! Just one more flight left!! Course now I'm starting to think again. Should I go commercial? That one always eats away at me. I spent $6000 to get my truck license, to get a job which pays  $40000 a year to start. Or I could spend an additional $40000 to get a job which pays about $16000 a year to start. How is that fair? ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::

In the mean time, my stomach has settled, so BEER AND STRIPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 05:13:37 PM »
Whoops!  'Scuse me, Gilly.  I didn't know you already had a PPL.  Never ask about fairness when it comes to flying jobs though.  You either want to do it bad enough to spend the money and pay yer dues, or you don't.  If you start doing cost/benefit analysis, you'll quickly find you will do better as an Accountant or Finance manager.

Flying is not a logical career goal, and its not about Dollars and Cents... its about Love, Life, and Passion.   |:)\ |:)\ |:)\

Now, lets go back to the Beer and Strippers!!!  WHOOP!!! WHOOP!!!  Hehe.   ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking::
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 05:15:30 PM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 06:29:51 PM »
i agree show me the way to the beer and strippers  ::drinking:: ::cowboy::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 06:25:18 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, still got some catching up. Congrats for escaping the grounded-list that me and mom are still on sadly :D

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 06:36:34 PM »
Did my final flight today. Practiced some forced approaches today. Pulled them off no problem. Setting up for the circuit, she pulled the power unexpectedly. That was not nice  >:( >:( >:( But I was able to pull that off. Engine failures can happen anywhere, good to have practice! We did a couple circuits afterwards, and then I pulled one solo circuit. WOOHOO!!! I am now current again!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D And this time I had no problems with my stomach!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D BEER AND STRIPPERS!!! And pizza. A tradition after each flight is to go out and get some slices of pizza! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLYING ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!