Author Topic: Q400 Strike-3!! Third gear-collapse, CPH runway blocked, no injuries.  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
I just noticed at Airliners.net that a third SAS Q400 just had a gear-collapse and is/was blocking one of the runways at CPH, 40 passenger, 4 crew, no injuries.
This is unblelievable! One posted that BA has rerouted one of theirs and that SAS again has grounded all Q400's and cancelled the flights!

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
Re: Q400 Strike-3!! Third gear-collapse, CPH runway blocked, no injuries.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »
It seems funny to me that only SAS is having gear problems with their Q-400's. Horizon Airlines here in the states flies them and has had no problems that I know of.

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 03:48:20 PM »
Legs are feeling cold probably :D
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 07:58:21 AM »
I'm no longer buying this as a Q400 problem.

Sounds like SAS is having some real maintenance issues.

I'm just having a hard time believing that of all the Q400s out there, SAS would have all 3 aircraft to exhibit the problem first.

I would like to know how many cycles their birds have done vs others as well as age though...

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:34:47 PM »
I agree, it is indeed strange all have been from SAS, however they're now selling all of them asap, 22 is said to be active, but other sources list a total of 27 Dash8-Q400 in the fleet. The SAS Group also covers the norwegian airliner Wideroe, and they're now also getting rid of their Q400's. Some at airliners.net says that ATR's orderbooks are full (the clown/parrott-liveried Danish Air Transport airline has several ATR42+72's). Speculation is running wild about what they'll use, EMK's, Sukhoi SuperJets (not ready yet) and MD--80s, or SAAB's.
In any case, danish trust in SAS is non-existant now. I also read that the danish FAA, directly opposite to all other countries allow ridiculous working-hours for pilots and leave the responsobility for saying no to the pilots, like any pilot would do that without risking his/her job. And here we got strict rules for truck-drivers delivering pigs for slaughter, but not for passenger-airline pilots, just another reason not to stay in Denmark for a life in aviation.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »
Update: The Q400 that landed at CPH didn't have the right main gear fully extended. Video from Norwegian tv http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2007/10/27/516407.html

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci