Author Topic: I'm Baja bound... again!!!  (Read 10236 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
I'm Baja bound... again!!!
« on: October 23, 2007, 04:42:25 PM »
Well, its that time of year again.  Time when the desert finally cools down into a reasonable temperature range, and folks start thinking about racing again.  This year's Baja 1000 marks the 40th anniversary of the race, so for the first time the race will be Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas instead of Ensenada to La Paz.  Da boss intends on winning the Trophy Truck class if he can.  The race begins 3 weeks from today, but I am on my way south to take some of the team half way down the race course so they can do a "Pre-Run", which is where they go over the course at a slower speed and check everything out.

I'll be down yonder for most of this week and thru the weekend, but I'll be taking pics while I am down there and I will post them here when I get back.  Meantime, y'all behave, OK?   ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking::
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:59:12 PM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: I'm Baja bound... again!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 07:40:11 PM »
Wow, support-flying in the wilderness, that sounds cool! I didn't know the Baja 1000 was already a whole 40 years, wow that's a long time! It's like the american equivalent of the Paris-Dakar race right? A really gruelling wild high-speed endurance race in the road-less wilderness right?

Best wishes and looking forward to seeing some pictures  ::wave::

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 01:12:20 AM »
Aww, man, sounds like a good time, Rooster!!!  Have grand fun, and send us all some pics!!   ::wave::

The S'Mom****
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 05:27:45 AM »
I'm back north after having been south for just an overnighter.  Had to pick up the boss in Northern Baja and bring him back for some business.  I am going south again tomorrow, but here are a few choice pics.

San Felipe is a port of entry on the Gulf of California side of the peninsula, about 120 miles south of the US Border.  Good entry point, friendly people.  Call ahead to check fuel availability.

Our next Stop was a private strip on a Rancho near Viscaino Bay.  Note that where I'm parked you will see not only Joshua Trees, but also Saguaro Cactus.  Very interesting combination.

I overnighted in the town of San Ignacio in northern Baja California Sur, about 50 miles from where I landed.  It appears to be an Oasis at a hot springs, complete with the Date Palm grove.  The Hotel/Bar/Restaurant is called Rice n Beans.  They have a website, but I didn't copy it.  Very nice people, rustic surroundings, clean accomodations and good food.  The Baja 1000 race is just about the biggest thing to happen in this little town whenever it passes by, so all the local kids were out hounding the pre-runners for souviners.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 01:02:37 PM by Rooster Cruiser »

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 05:31:51 AM »
This morning, our team were getting the pre-run vehicles ready to head out into the desert, while I had to go back to the airstrip.  You can see on these pics that there ain't a whole heck of a lot of people in this area.  Naturally, I couldn't help but take one more pic of my Platypus in the mornin' light.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 05:37:21 AM »
Viscaino Bay is on the Pacific Side of the peninsula, about halfway down.  Interesting sand dunes along the beach and the inlet to this lagoon.

Along the Gulf of California near the mouth of the Colorado River are these enormous mud flats, which in some areas extend over 2km from high tide to low tide.  I understand you might be able to walk on some of them, but most are of quicksand consistency and will swallow anyone foolish enough to try to croos them.  Interesting erosion patterns show up occasionally in these areas.

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 05:38:55 AM »
 :o OH WOW!! R/C way too much fun....thanks for the photos...ROK ON mate!!!
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 05:40:41 AM »
Ahh, nice photos!!  Thanks for sharing!!   :D
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 05:41:35 AM »
These last pics aren't of Baja.  I had to clear US customs at Yuma (Calexico was closed today), so I ended up flying over the northwestern tip of the state of Sonora in Mexico.  Here you find El Desierto del Altar, an enormous area of sand dunes that extends about 150 miles or so from near the US border to Punta Penasco.  Very beautiful, and very desolate.  I would hate to have to make an emergency landing here.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 05:48:23 AM »
Thanks guys!  I'm going back south tomorrow.  I gotta take one of the boss' sons (the two boys are the Team's Drivers) and a couple of his friends down south tomorrow, along with 3 tires, rims, a satellite phone, and a power steeing pump for one of the pre runners that is broke down yonder.  It will be a heavy combination load of people and cargo, but that is precisely what the Platypus is good at!  Hehe.

I'll take some more pics while I'm there, and when I get back (dunno when that'll be yet) I will post more pics.

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 05:56:52 AM »
Can't wait to see 'em R/C.... Safe skies mate...
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 12:06:20 PM »
When I grow up, I want to be just like R/C ;D ;D ;D
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 12:45:01 PM »
awesome pics. You have a cool Job ;D
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 12:55:38 PM »
When I grow up, I want to be just like R/C ;D ;D ;D

Gosh... Thanks Fabo! <insert blushing smiley here>  I"m still trying to figure out what I wanna be when I grow up.   ::loony:: ;D >:D

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 11:28:07 PM »
Really great pictures |:)\ Thanks for sharing them with us ::wave::

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci