Author Topic: Tow Rope snagged???  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Tow Rope snagged???
« on: October 14, 2007, 05:31:13 AM »
I found this on another forum:

http://www.break.com/index/in-air-near-miss-causes-crash.html

Interesting video.  Looks like it had to be very scary.  Does anyone know where this happened?

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
Re: Tow Rope snagged???
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 08:23:58 AM »

::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek::
HOLY COW!!!!!!

::bow:: He did well to keep it under control as well as he did  ::bow::

::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 04:06:21 PM »
There's a better link to that video here http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2007-2-9-BallisticChuteDeployments.wmv that shows that he wasn't under "control" but under the "silk". He had an airframe parachute and used it. I think it happened somewhere in the Alps.

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 05:59:46 PM »
Yeah I gathered that he'd pulled a plane-chute, but some on the first link didn't, like the person that posted that he should've nosed down for airspeed, and that was written quite negatively. I must say I don't understand how come the planes have to land so hard? Couldn't they make them slow down a little more? Of course some good seats and such would also help the impact but still.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 08:33:32 PM »
Frank my intuition (that means I don't know shit what I'm talking about  ::rofl::) tells me that a larger chute (less impact) would take more time to deploy. That means it would have to be usable in a higher altitude and that defeats the idea of the chute as a safety measure.

More thought.. You get into a spin and you have no altitude left to recover. You open the parachute.. These situations are more or less the what is on the mind of those who develop those chutes. So, you see, minimum altitude to deploy is a big factor.

Some of the others who work with "paratroopers ::rofl::" can perhaps shed more light to your question.. I believe that the second, safety parachute the jumpers have behaves much the same.
It's all Greek to me!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 08:38:59 PM »
Those airframe chutes aren't designed to protect the airplane, just possibly protect you.  I seem to remember hearing that the standard placard is something to the effect of that deploying the chute will probobly total the aircraft and that it doesn't guarantee survival.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

airtac

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »
Those airframe chutes aren't designed to protect the airplane, just possibly protect you. 

True--and my philosophy is the same---I'll sacrifice an airframe any day to save my butt or anyone with me |:)\ so the airframe chutes are probably a good idea but ya gotta be smart enough to use it ::thinking::

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 01:09:22 AM »
Ya, I was kind of skeptical of airframe chutes when I first heard of them, but (as with a lot of stuff) the more I hear about it the more my opinion changes. So if you were in this situation and had a chute, would you use it?
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."