Author Topic: "A 1st Time for Everything"..... I guess?!?  (Read 33040 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
"A 1st Time for Everything"..... I guess?!?
« on: October 09, 2007, 03:57:54 AM »
Many years ago, I had this idea that it would be WAY COOL to live in a hangar...  you know, surrounded by tools, dried oil drips, and that familiar smell of dust settling on a warm engine.  (And maybe, just maybe...  hearing little bits of what the aircraft say after dark....) 

Well, in the vein of "you'd better watch what you wish for", I just paid the first rent for my "new" digs....  a place over a hangar.  Crikeys mates!!!   ::unbelieveable::

After fire season, I learned I needed to move, and, after looking at some not-so-happy-looking spots, I lucked out and found a nice place, on an 1800' dirt strip.  It's small, but nicely laid out, and I'm kinda excited about this.  The airstrip looks to be in pretty decent shape, too.   :)

So...  wish me luck for the next month or so...  I think I am going to need it...  what with hating to move!    :( 
With any good fortune at all, there'll be room in the hangar for a Beer Fridge....    ::drinking::    ::whistle::      ::rofl::

Now...  d'you suppose any of the neighbors will notice if a White Minivan just HAPPENS to drop in, from time to time?!?!    ::whistle::

8)

Don't make me come back there!!!!

airtac

Re: "A 1st Time for Everything"..... I guess?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 04:14:08 AM »
OKOKOK, lemme know when moving day arrives, I'll arrive with my ole pal  (remember him?) and we'll give ya a hand---I think---You're gonna hafta have some decent beer on hand and someplace Rod and I can crash after we perform slave duty all day---a couple of cots in the hanger will work 8)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 04:18:56 AM »
COOL !!  ::unbelieveable::

I am jealous!

When are you moving?
Will you be able to use the hangar or is somebody else using it??
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 04:35:42 AM »
Hee hee!!   :D

The hangar seems to be a bit full of stuff, both aviation- AND non-aviation related....  a mechanic I know used to keep his Stinson there, but it wasn't there the other day, so am not sure if he still comes and goes out of there or not. 

Man!!  I wish I had an airplane!!!!  Arrggh.  Oh well, at least I can always go out at night and pick rocks....   :D

And Airtac, tell ya what, the BEER part we'll work on, and no worries as to the moving part...  that's why they invented lighters and gasoline....!!!  ["WHAT pile of stuff?!?!!"]     But -- the VISITING part sounds perfect!!   ::drinking::

Besides, I won't get to leap off this cliff for a few more weeks...  have a short job to do, so hope to start moving when I get back from that. 

(btw....  aren't I too OLD to be doing this?)   ;)

8)             8)                8)              8)             8)            8)             8)              8)               8)               8)             8)             8)             8)

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:32:52 AM »
AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW  WAY TOO KEWL 'MOM!!!

Hey  ::thinking:: you should ask work if you can use the minivan as your "company car" and you could fly to work everyday  ;D ;D

I'd come and help you move 'Mom ( ;) give Airtac a hand  :D ) but i still haven;t quite got to PPL yet  ;D and the swim across the "puddle" is a wee bit far  ::rofl::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 05:55:45 AM »
Crikeys mates!!!   ::unbelieveable::

Crikey...Y'all av bin list'n too Gibbo too much huh???

Any ways...sounds kewl to me...
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 05:56:52 AM »
Heh heh, no worries mate!!!   ::wave::  I'll save up room in the beer fridge for when you FLY across the puddle with a few CROWNIES smuggled in yer bag...  eh?!?  And, we'll get silly and watch Mikey arriving in Panaca Jane, G-Man in LaFawnduh, and Airtac tipping over backward in his lawn chair!!!!!!!!!!  Wheeeeeee!!
Not to mention Frank, Gilly, Rooster, Happy, Phil, Tundra, and EVERYBODY from the "Coop" flying in to have light refreshments!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ::drinking::    ::rofl:: 

Yeah..  I'm already trying to think through the prospects of hopping in the Minivan to scoot over to work...   ::thinking::   It would be great!    :D

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 06:00:39 AM »

Crikey...Y'all av bin list'n too Gibbo too much huh???

Any ways...sounds kewl to me...

Aaas roit, mate!  Boot -- a' least I dinna call 'im a Wanka!   ;)

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 06:36:17 AM »
Heh heh, no worries mate!!!   ::wave::  I'll save up room in the beer fridge for when you FLY across the puddle with a few CROWNIES smuggled in yer bag...  eh?!?  And, we'll get silly and watch Mikey arriving in Panaca Jane, G-Man in LaFawnduh, and Airtac tipping over backward in his lawn chair!!!!!!!!!!  Wheeeeeee!!
Not to mention Frank, Gilly, Rooster, Happy, Phil, Tundra, and EVERYBODY from the "Coop" flying in to have light refreshments!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ::drinking::    ::rofl:: 

Yeah..  I'm already trying to think through the prospects of hopping in the Minivan to scoot over to work...   ::thinking::   It would be great!    :D

That would be a hell of a day!!!!!! Hope it works out as you wish Mom!!!!!

Post us a shot and a location too :)
It's all Greek to me!

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 07:04:03 AM »
Ah, that reminds me.
When I was picking up empty bottles for Southwest Canners at the airport in Big Spring TX, I noticed an old WW2 hangar sitting empty on the mostly abandoned side of the airport (the bottle company had taken over some space on that part of the field). Right next to the aforementioned hangar was an old style tower.

I often fantasized about being able to buy the hangar and the nearby tower and making it into an aviator's dream home. There was plenty of office space inside the hangar, which could be converted to living space. The hangar itself used to house bombers, so there was plenty of room for anything I'd ever be able to afford. The tower would have been a treasure in itself, and I was thinking about a circumferential sofa unit on top, so's I could watch airport traffic from the lofty perch. OH... I guess it'd get a wet bar, too. I only considered a tower hot-tub for a little while, but I figured it'd be kinda tough to maintain at that height.

By the way, Hangar 18, from the movie by that name, is in Big Spring, and only a few hundred feet from the old tower.

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »
Awesome, Mom!!  ::bow:: Congratulations!!  |:)\ That's just like Tundra's house then, huh? Where is it going to be? Will you also have a dirt strip at the clostest supermarket? And can you post some pictures to make our jealousy complete? ;D

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 10:29:41 AM »
Congratulations on finding your dreamhome Mom!  8) |:)\ ::bow::

A CW Fly-In sounds so cool!  8) And hey, with me you got a designated pilot  ::rofl::
Looking forward to some pictures of the new Soccerman International Airport, hey, that makes S.I.A. which kind of sounds like See Ya, as in, see ya soon :D

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 01:34:50 PM »
Congrats on the new pad S'Mom ::bow:: Now you can be an official airport bum ;) Tell us when and where for the CW fly-in ::wave::
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline RagDragger

• Fledgling
  • Indian Name: Running Tab
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 03:01:45 PM »
I'm down for the fly-in.  Let me know and I'll "borrow" 92Dawg for the weekend and show y'all some REAL short field takeoffs!  Incidentally, a case of beer should probably fit right behind the front seat, so I can contribute there  ;)  Congrats!
God looks out for drunks and dumb animals.  Fortunately, I qualify on both counts.

airtac

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 05:12:09 PM »
I'm down for the fly-in.  Let me know and I'll "borrow" 92Dawg for the weekend and show y'all some REAL short field takeoffs!  Incidentally, a case of beer should probably fit right behind the front seat, so I can contribute there  ;)  Congrats!

I think Mike and Gman would upstage you with the short field takeoffs----they are such show offs!!!!!

Smom---"watch Airtac tipping over backwards in his lawnchair"  ?????  I think my reputation precedes me  ::drinking::