Author Topic: Vatican buys a football team...  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Vatican buys a football team...
« on: October 05, 2007, 08:08:51 PM »
I can't even come up with a joke for that...

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/god-squad-buys-club-to-tackle-crisis-in-football-1115342.html

God squad buys club to tackle 'crisis' in football

The Vatican has pledged to clean up Italian football after buying its own club.

The Italian Bishop's Conference now has a controlling stake in AC Ancona, currently top of Italy's third division, after money was provided by a group of Catholic businessmen.

Edoardo Menichelli, the Archbishop of Ancona, said the move would help bring more morality into football.

"We want to bring some ethics back into the game, which has been undergoing a grave crisis in terms of sportsmanship,'' he said.

The Vatican aims to introduce an ethical code which will punish Ancona's players for any foul play.

Under the new owners, tickets for Ancona's home matches will drop in price, and all profits will go to projects in the Third World.

Fans will be forbidden from taunting and insulting the opposition, and from unfurling offensive banners and flags.

Ancona played in Italy's top division only four years ago, but were relegated after winning just 13 points.

The club also reached the final of the Italian Cup in 2004, but lost to Sampdoria.

However, it was deeply involved in the Calciopoli bribes scandal of two seasons ago.

Its former president, Ermanno Pieroni, was sentenced to 53 days in jail.

The team will have an audience with Pope Benedict XVI after the final deal is signed on October 10.

Andrea Staffolani, a 24-year-old striker, said: "We have not been told all the details about the new ethical code, but we like what we have read so far.

"For example, the idea that if we get sent off we have to do voluntary work.

"We've been talking about it in the dressing room, and we are ready to do it.

"The team has played well and fairly on the pitch until now anyway, and we hope to keep it that way.

"We cannot wait to meet the Pope. All of us are delighted, believers and non-believers.''

Eighty per cent of the club will be controlled by the bishops, leaving 20pc to the former president Sergio Schiavoni.

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Vatican's secretary of state, is a fanatical football fan and has openly spoken about his ambition to create a football team of priests.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Re: Vatican buys a football team...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 09:35:33 PM »
Will they re-name the team, I wonder???  What will they re-name it???

My nominations:

The Cardinals

The Angels

The Missionaries  (assume the position!)

::bow:: ::rofl:: ::bow:: ::rofl:: ::bow:: ::rofl::

Don't forget to pray the Rosary before each and every game!
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Vatican buys a football team...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 12:10:50 AM »
And don't forget the water bottles full of VINO!   ::drinking::
Don't make me come back there!!!!