Author Topic: Anybody flown a Husky?  (Read 18352 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Anybody flown a Husky?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 06:25:12 PM »
Wow, THANKS for the info.  That sounds like a BLAST!  I just haven't run into anyone, EXCEPT YOU, who can tell what they fly like.

I'm sure I'd have to put out a NOTAM if and when I can ever get tailwheel current again, but I'd sure like to.  Money is always the problem...  but I'd sure love to get into that airplane and just get a good checkout..  it just looks like fun.

Maybe I can scrape up enough dough to run over to WY and get a little bit of time.  Of course, they would all be doubled over in laughter, I'm sure..  it's been EONS since I was in a taildragger.

Thanks for letting me know about it!!!   ::wave::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 07:56:10 PM »
I recently got current again in taildraggers and had the good fortune to do it in a Husky. A local banner tower uses one as well.

I found take-offs to be a little exciting in that they occur in about 175-200'! I 've flown ultralights that have longer take-off rolls!

Other characteristics are pretty much like the Super Cub as far as handling and perfomance, though I will say I believe it can get into shorter fields (as if 700' ain't short enough!).

If you get the chance to fly one jump on it.

And this year they're coming out with one with an IO-360 at 200hp!  (standard is a regular O-360 at 180hp and you can get a 160hp one if you really want).

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 11:27:20 PM »
On a side note mom...

I see you have bubbles as your avatar!!

Nice to see someone else has heard of, or maybe even watches Trailer Park Boys.  I think its because we have a few Canadians in our house, but we watch it every week here, and even took a trip up to Winnipeg for the movie.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 12:09:38 AM »
Oh Man, I LOVE it!!  One of the jumper's wives stumbled onto them, and he brought one season's worth to work.  We all went nuts...  I especially love it..  reminds me of back home!  HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

And, I was SO tickled, on the last day of work this year, he gave it to me as a gift!  I was just a babbling idiot.  It just cracks me up, I don't know what it is, but it's nuts.  And, I DO love Bubbles, he is so cute and always the nice one.  The guys all murmur "Uh oh, Mary's watching her boyfriend again" whenever we crank it up. 

I'd have hopped in on that trip to Winnipeg with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!    ::bow:: 

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 01:44:08 AM »
Oh Man, I LOVE it!!  One of the jumper's wives stumbled onto them, and he brought one season's worth to work.  We all went nuts...  I especially love it..  reminds me of back home!  HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Franklin County isn't that bad Mom.... Well except for Richford, Sheldon, Enosburgh, Montgomery, Fletcher, etc. however I gotta be nice to St Albans, Swanton and Highgate... Even I have relatives there  ::rofl::

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline RagDragger

• Fledgling
  • Indian Name: Running Tab
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 02:12:14 AM »
Never flown a Husky, but the (extensively modified) Super Cub I fly will land in less than a football field.  Takeoff roll is maybe 100-150 feet.  Of course, it's a banner tower and modified to that end with a 180HP O-360, leading edge cuff, droop tips, vortex generators, lengthened wings, longer ailerons, and of course any unneccessary weight is removed.  To the point where we use handheld radios and handprop our aircraft 'cuz there's no starter.  Not quite a fair comparison, but I had to brag a bit.  I'd still like to fly a Husky though, I kinda have a special affection for anything with a tailwheel.   
God looks out for drunks and dumb animals.  Fortunately, I qualify on both counts.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 02:37:57 AM »

Franklin County isn't that bad Mom.... Well except for Richford, Sheldon, Enosburgh, Montgomery, Fletcher, etc. however I gotta be nice to St Albans, Swanton and Highgate... Even I have relatives there  ::rofl::

Brian

Whaaaa Haaaa, well, we could chat for quite a while about all this!  Of course, when I left there, the collective IQ went up dramatically.   ::silly::

Never flown a Husky, but the (extensively modified) Super Cub I fly will land in less than a football field.  Takeoff roll is maybe 100-150 feet.  ...I had to brag a bit.  ......I kinda have a special affection for anything with a tailwheel.   

That sure sounds like FUN, Ragdragger!  I mean, I know you're working your butt off, too, but at least it's FUN work, right?!? 

The Minivan does well, too, but I've never been in one that was stripped all the way down to nothing.  Even with tons of crap loaded inside, she does a good job...  it'd be fun to get one that was just bare bones!  LOOKOUT CHAPS!  Here she comes!!   :D

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »
While I was looking for the video of the Bell 407 vs Cessna runway incident for the other thread then I found this clip on the frontpage, sounds like a nice plane! (that is the Husky you're talking about right?) http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Aviat_A1_Husky-Airline_Untitled_Aviation_Video-8957.html

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline RagDragger

• Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 04:35:04 PM »
[
That sure sounds like FUN, Ragdragger!  I mean, I know you're working your butt off, too, but at least it's FUN work, right?!? 

Sure is.  Probably as close as I'll get to being an airshow pilot.  The airplane and the big banners we tow always draw attention and questions from pilots and linemen.  I'm living out of a suitcase, traveling all over, and enjoying the hell out of it all.  Life's good!
God looks out for drunks and dumb animals.  Fortunately, I qualify on both counts.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 08:59:28 PM »
It's obvious you have a GREAT outlook!!!!!   ::wave::

I'd bet you will end up being whatever type of pilot you WANT...  airshow, or whatever.  Keep up the FUN!   ::bow::

;D                ;D                ;D                ;D 

Offline RagDragger

• Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 01:46:55 AM »
Tell you the truth, there's two things I really want to do with flying before I die:  bush work in Alaska, and flying a waterbomber.  Both of those look like way too much fun!  Gonna do this for a while yet, but I'm always keeping an ear to the ground. 

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 04:01:15 AM »
Aren'tcha gonna drag a wingtip, doin' that?!?!?   ::silly::

Offline RagDragger

• Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2007, 12:56:11 PM »
Hey now, just 'cuz I've got big ears..... ;D

airtac

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2007, 03:07:14 PM »
Yeah Ragdragger,
If you keep your ear to the ground, nose to the grindstone, and shoulder to the wheel----you'll be successful BUT,  ::silly:: , you'll look funny ::rofl::

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 09:39:01 PM »
There'll be a Husky on straight floats for sale here at Baudette pretty soon.  Not sure what they want for it, but it's a really nice airplane.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty