Author Topic: Anybody flown a Husky?  (Read 18348 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Anybody flown a Husky?
« on: September 30, 2007, 08:15:55 PM »
Anyone have any time in this airplane?  Or have access to one?  Thanks!   ::wave::

S'Mom  :)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
Re: Anybody flown a Husky?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 01:46:03 AM »
I know a guy who owns one... I haven't flown in it but I have moved it around the hangar a time or 2  ::rofl::

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 02:56:02 AM »
Brian, that's a WHOLE LOT closer to one than I have managed as of yet!  I'm envious!   ::bow::

They just look like so much fun.  I've been checking out their accident rates, etc., and saw a sad one today...  the USDA installed the shoulder harnesses wrong (insert SoccerMom saying "I am SHOCKED"), and the airplane went into the terrain at low speed, and, despite having a helmet on, the pilot was killed because of the improper installation.

What a waste. 

Like we've said..  and said...  and SAID....  good mechanics keep us all alive.   |:)\

8)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 08:18:31 AM »
Shhh...careful, don't let any Super Cub owners hear you mention a Husky.  >:D

Phil  (aka AntiCub on SuperCub.org)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 08:58:28 AM »
I have a friend who owned one for a good while  in TN.

I haven't seen a single one up here.  I've been told that their parts support isn't seen as being "good enough" up here if you want to get parts in any decent amount of time.

In fact, even my friend who owned one (and loved flying it) made a comment that it wasn't built to be easily repairable like a supercub is.  He seemed to think it wouldn't be all that great of a bush plane just by that merit alone, too complex.  I haven't found anyone up here actually flying one, so I can't get a first hand account of how it actually fairs.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 11:49:04 PM »
Thanks for the info -- I never seem to run onto them, either -- but am still looking!  I almost got fuel this summer where they're built, but, alas, I missed my chance there.   ::banghead::

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 02:28:56 PM »
Our avionics shop got a one time STC to put an autopilot in one once.... the guy that owns it flies it from Vermont to Alaska once a year, I guess he wanted to look at the scenery going by at a whopping 100 kts (or take a nap enroute  ::rofl:: )

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 02:01:32 AM »
PaFEW -Huck-ack-choke!  Excuse me while I spew good Canadian beer all over the keyboard here -- an AUTOPILOT in a HUSKY?!?!?!?!?!?     ::unbelieveable::

Wow, I have heard EVERYTHING now....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       ::rofl::

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 02:50:40 AM »
PaFEW -Huck-ack-choke!  Excuse me while I spew good Canadian beer all over the keyboard here -- an AUTOPILOT in a HUSKY?!?!?!?!?!?     ::unbelieveable::

Wow, I have heard EVERYTHING now....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       ::rofl::

I just thought of the story of the first attempt at an autopilot and the way they tried to "test" it....     ::rofl::

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 06:07:26 AM »
See now what is funny is that..I almost thought this was a humor thread..I am sure I have heard a joke that started with "Anybody flown a husky?"..  ::thinking::  ::thinking::

Scuse my ignorance, but is a husky the taildragger plank with the BIG tundra like wheels?
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 08:09:54 AM »
See now what is funny is that..I almost thought this was a humor thread..I am sure I have heard a joke that started with "Anybody flown a husky?"..  ::thinking::  ::thinking::

Scuse my ignorance, but is a husky the taildragger plank with the BIG tundra like wheels?

Think super cub on steriods.   They look pretty simiiliar.     They make the big tundra tires for supercubs as well, I think Aviat advertises up to 31" tires on the husky. 

www.aviataircraft.com

They have the same amount of power as many Cessna 172s, takeoff and land shorter, and cruise faster.   I remember calculating 104 kts usually for the 172s I trained in on cross country flights.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 05:08:56 PM »
Good one, G-Man!!!!!!!!!   ::wave::

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 05:33:06 PM »
Good one, G-Man!!!!!!!!!   ::wave::

Glad to see someone else has a sense of humor this week---it was getting way to serious on CW lately.  ::whistle:: ::whistle:: ::drinking:: ::drinking::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 06:01:11 PM »
Well, you know you can always count on me to be serial...   ::loony::

;D

Offline FB41

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »
I recently got current again in taildraggers and had the good fortune to do it in a Husky. A local banner tower uses one as well.

I found take-offs to be a little exciting in that they occur in about 175-200'! I 've flown ultralights that have longer take-off rolls!

Other characteristics are pretty much like the Super Cub as far as handling and perfomance, though I will say I believe it can get into shorter fields (as if 700' ain't short enough!).

If you get the chance to fly one jump on it.