Author Topic: Medicals & DWI's don't mix  (Read 17209 times)

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
Re: Medicals & DWI's don't mix
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 04:34:58 PM »
The package that my HIMS medical examiner sponsor put together was sent fedex and received on 5/27 and now i'm waiting for a response. From what I understand, this process takes 4 to 6 weeks. Hope I have enough fuel for this holding pattern!  :o  ;)
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 04:01:41 PM »
Called Oklahoma yesterday and they said they approved my application Wednesday and that my medical was in the mail to me. I'd asked them to fax it to me so that I could have it in hand. When the fax came through, up across the top of the medical it said MEDICAL CERTIFICATE THIRD CLASS to which I immediately got on the phone to OK city because I'd applied for the 1st class and didn't understand why I'd been issued a 3rd. Long story short, what they did was grant me a 3rd class medical so I can get back to flying for recreation/training/bfr/ipc etc while my 1st class application is forwarded to Washington DC and reviewed for approval there which is where all HIMS program medical applications are reviewed.

So I got that goin' for me......which is nice
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 10:00:01 PM »
Congratulations on getting back in the air
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 03:03:37 AM »
Congratulations on getting back in the air

Thank you sir! have my CE-500 SIC ride at some point this weekend, maybe Monday, and after that have a trip planned for later on that week or the following week to KASE. I won't be paid, but at this point and time? I don't care, it can wait another 45 days or so lol  ::cowboy::

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 08:06:13 AM »
At least you are back in the air......good luck and fingers crossed here.....

As one knows---"Time spent in the air or on the water is not deducted from ones lifespan".....
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 02:03:38 AM »
Thanks G!

Got my SIC sign off last Friday and so now my wife and I are saving for a house (gotta do what we gotta do) then i'll be saving for the full blown type rating. 1200 hours (for part 135.243c) is going to come up pretty quick with just under 400 to go.

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 02:04:10 AM »
oh! and these new ATP requirements are WHACK!

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 03:51:49 AM »
found out something today. If you get into my predicament make sure you GO TO REHAB OR IOP!!!! it is a requirement for the 1st and 2nd class medicals. so far i've done everything backasswards and it's costing me huge. IF I'd of gone to rehab or IOP first, like right off the bat, still hungover or a day or two later then my medical insurance would have covered it. But since i've been sober for 11+ months now........yeah, no. negative. the $ comes out of my pocket and i'm up to $9500 spent so far including my CE-500 SIC sign off last weekend and that total will be climbing at least another 4300-4500 in the next week or so for IOP. IOP is Intensive Out Patient or something like that. basically rehab for people who have to work. 3 or 4 nights a week, depending on where you go @ approximately $270 bucks a night for 4 or 5 weeks (depending on the 3 or 4 nights a week plan)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 03:31:38 AM »
Ouch

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »
yeah, and it's looking more like 4 nights a week for 6 weeks @ ~5500 smackaroos

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 03:12:28 PM »
update on the IOP situation: insurance surprisingly approved the claim so I am/was only responsible for the copay/deductible of roughly a grand but it's still better than paying the full amount of 5500. i'm on week 4 now of 6, attending in the evenings after work. As I expected, I'm learning many useful tools to help keep me off the sauce and this coming Thursday (tomorrow the 28th) will be my 1 year anniversary of getting sober which means that mid August will mark the anniversary of working on obtaining my 2nd class (now 1st class as of last May) medical. I have my 3rd class in hand now on a special issuance but once I finish IOP and the FAA gets the required paperwork it will be at least a year from when i started this journey if not a tad more by the time I can get paid to fly again. When I am issued my 1st class it will be on a SI as well as I'll continue to be monitored for an as yet not determined 2 to 5 years. I consider myself lucky as I've come across some line guys who took years in the system to get their medicals back and I shouldn't count any chickens as just yet either. I still don't have my 1st so it's best to just wait and see what happens next.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 01:35:37 AM »
Good to hear it's progressing!  Excellent news!   

Hopefully the process will wrap up fairly quickly now.

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »
if you have an hour to spare (ie. listen while you work) this is Lyle, the captain of the NWA flight back in 1990 arrested for flying while intoxicated telling his story about alcoholism and that morning the 3 crew members were arrested. kudos to him for his recovery and everything that followed. It's really a very very good story - unfortunately not many alcoholics have the same outcome. The program only gives back what you put into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoFooDq0v_M

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 01:17:36 PM »
Good to hear it's progressing!  Excellent news!   

Hopefully the process will wrap up fairly quickly now.

thanks, things are starting to come together and i'm seeing results of my hard work! I finish IOP today and have made myself available to the part 91 outfit i'll be flying with as of tomorrow. granted I won't get paid but hey, hours of turbine time in the ol' logbook don't care whether you're paid or not, lol!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2016, 12:19:07 AM »
What are you going to be flying and what kind of missions?