Author Topic: Flying on a clear night  (Read 11940 times)

Offline Planobilly

Flying on a clear night
« on: February 05, 2016, 03:30:29 AM »
I have flown from the LA basin to Bullhead City so many time I could retire on the fuel I have burned. All of these flights happened after I had several years of IFR under my belt so I never though much about it.

As I look back, and remember the conditions, these flights were the type of night flights that could get you killed if you are not really comfortable with the transition from VFR to IFR. Yes the night was crystal clear. Here is the rub. About two minutes after you turn left past Twenty Palms there is not a single light for miles. The stars look just like lights on the ground.

I assume there are other places like the desert but this one come to mind.

So just remember....the desert on a clear night is a wonderful place to fly....if you can fly well IFR.

The only thing worse than wishing you were up flying is being in the air wishing you were on the ground...lol

Stay safe,

Billy

Offline Texgun

Re: Flying on a clear night
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 10:38:20 PM »
 I know your above post is old, but I couldn't help but comment on night flying in the desert. I grew up in El Paso and have never had any smoother air than cruising at night just for fun. It was a real good way to impress a date too.