Author Topic: Is it too late to switch rotor wing?  (Read 4284 times)

Offline spudster

• I love the sound of radial engines in the morning
    • My photography
Is it too late to switch rotor wing?
« on: September 20, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
So, I have a little over 9 hours of flight time towards my PPL for fixed wing (almost had a chance to solo, but seasonal work called me away). I'll be returning back to my home in NYC the middle of next month and plan on resuming where I left off.

This season I had many opportunities while working at Mt. Rainier to watch our contracted AS350B do its thing. I also got to see even more helicopter work while cutting contingency line by the Stehekin airstrip (6S9). I think what really flipped the switch in my brain was watching a Skycrane dropping water while standing by on a hillside in Chelan.

I already purchased a groupon for an intro helicopter lesson for when I get back, just so I can see if I will enjoy it. If I happen to love it, would it be best to finish my fixed wing PPL, or switch tracks and go for rotor wing? ::knockedout::
What does this lever do?

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Re: Is it too late to switch rotor wing?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 04:21:37 PM »
Go straight to helicopter---you will need the hours anyway.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline spudster

• My photography
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »
Thanks for the tip!
What does this lever do?

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 02:07:58 AM »
HA! Small world!
The Crane wouldn't happen to be orange and have big numbers painted on the side "743" by any chance, would it?!?!
We've been working up there almost all summer and got within one canyon of Stehekin (Castle Creek)...

Do what G-Man says. If you wanna do helicopters, then stuck-wing time won't be of much benefit....

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy your helicopter intro-flight  ;)
But keep in mind it will be a long road and a lot of work before they give you a Skycrane to fly  ;D
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline spudster

• My photography
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 07:08:21 AM »
Well, I think you may have flown over us when we were being boated in! I definitely remember watching you guys from the dock (main landing and the weaver point dock) while eating lunch. :P

I now have a followup question in regards to potentially making a career out of flying: I'm going to be 24 in November, and just have this feeling that I may be starting up on taking flight lessons too late, especially with seasonal work forcing me to take extended breaks. Is there any issue with starting up late in the game?
What does this lever do?

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »
There is no limit in civilian aviation on when you get into the business. I have had students in their fifties....

It may take you until you turn 30 or more before you get it all done, that's is true.
But the counter question I would like to ask is:
Do you wanna be 30 and have followed your dream of being a pilot even though you started late with a few flight hours under your belt flying tours with 26 year olds (24 still isn't late btw) , or do you wanna be just 30 regretting not getting started at all because you thought you were too old?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline spudster

• My photography
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:55:33 PM »
But the counter question I would like to ask is:
Do you wanna be 30 and have followed your dream of being a pilot even though you started late with a few flight hours under your belt flying tours with 26 year olds (24 still isn't late btw) , or do you wanna be just 30 regretting not getting started at all because you thought you were too old?

That is a very good point. Also, glad to hear that age won't be an issue!
What does this lever do?