Author Topic: Life Through Your Camera  (Read 770672 times)

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
Re: Life Through Your Camera
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2007, 09:58:56 PM »

Now all the LRMP aircraft can do is circle overhead and hopefully maintain visual contact with the downed aviator.

Nah, we would drop liferafts, supplies etc, AND check this out:

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=750
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2007, 10:35:35 PM »

Now all the LRMP aircraft can do is circle overhead and hopefully maintain visual contact with the downed aviator.

They were using it until fairly recently, but what is left out in the article is injuries.  Apparently injuries from the initial "snap" is the reason they decommissioned the system.

The cessna driver almost died becuase after a day of circling over him watching him, the conditions got worse and the herc couldn't see him anymore.  They finally spotted him on the edge of their search grid,  he'd almost drifted far enough away they'd never have foudn him again.  I want to say he was in a raft for 3 days.  The other problem is that the supplies need to be close enough to the downed aviator for him to reach them.  I want to say the first attempt or two were blown away and he never reached them.   Need to find the article to get the details accurate...

I like this quote though:
The first live test was conducted with a pig as the target. Due to some stability issues, the pig spun in the 125 mph wind, and arrived on the plane dizzy and discombobulated. It recovered, however, and promptly attacked the crew.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #287 on: April 19, 2007, 12:21:58 AM »
Yeah the system is not the best. I still claim that an experienced crew can drop supplies to a person in the water---once you understand if you have to drop up wind or downwind, it is not a problem.

I dropped about 15 life raft packs during my time---all made it to their target. Even talked a cessna pilot down to a successful ditching in mid Atlantic---he climbed out the window, onto the roof and was picked up by the tanker we had him ditch next to, without even getting fully wet. He was doing a solo ferry flight and his fuel pump failed---he had fuel on board in a bladder tank, but no way to get it to the engine.

Also found my fair share of idiots who chose to row across the Atlantic in row boats---now these are the ones who should be charged for their search and rescue, but that's another thread.........................
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #288 on: April 19, 2007, 03:50:39 AM »
Yikes!!   ::eek::

How about more wild stories from mid-ocean?  That is some crazy stuff, and mean weather. 

One of our mechanics was a Navy rescue diver for some time..  he has so many wild stories, whenever he's done, we all step outside and just about kiss the ground in gratitude!!!

|:)\
Don't make me come back there!!!!

airtac

« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2007, 06:57:31 AM »
A good ol' Piper PA-44-180 Seminole. 

Oh a twin Tomahawk......only flew one once, I thought the performance was lacking..............till I figured out I forgot to retract the gear....DUH !! ::banghead::

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #290 on: April 19, 2007, 07:40:59 PM »
Even with the gear up the performance is lacking, especially when the door pops open at 10,000 ft.  Which happened shortly after those pics were taken.
WOW I did that!

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2007, 11:36:40 PM »

I've got a book on the C-130 that talks about that system.  They claim there it was mainly used for covert extractions in Nam.  It also says they had trouble finding volunteers to practice with.  Bet that wouldn't be a problem now!  Sounds like the ultimate bungee jump in reverse  ::eek::  ::silly::   ::knockedout::

Phil

airtac

« Reply #292 on: April 20, 2007, 12:54:56 AM »
Even with the gear up the performance is lacking, especially when the door pops open at 10,000 ft.  Which happened shortly after those pics were taken.
Lucky you weren't an in Aztec---I had an Aztec door pop once--the low pressure area between the nacelle and fuselage sucked it out about 8 to 10 inches, where it stayed and the resulting airflow stalled the stabilator which caused the airplane to tuck under.  I was looking straight down at the ground with the yoke slamming full in and out despite my best efforts to stop it.  After a few seconds of complete control loss the only thing I could think of was to extend the gear which changed the airflow enough I was able to regain control.   Scared the crap out of me and after landing at Reno, I had a couple of stiff drinks before going to my layover.  There have been a few fatal accidents in Aztecs attributed to door pops---don't know of any other airplane wiith that problem and it doesn't happen every time either, I have afriend with an Aztec who's had a pop with no problems other than noise-- Just thought I'd mention it, good bit of info to have tucked away for the future.

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2007, 01:01:22 AM »
Lucky you weren't an in Aztec---I had an Aztec door pop once--the low pressure area between the nacelle and fuselage sucked it out about 8 to 10 inches, where it stayed and the resulting airflow stalled the stabilator which caused the airplane to tuck under.  I was looking straight down at the ground with the yoke slamming full in and out despite my best efforts to stop it.  After a few seconds of complete control loss the only thing I could think of was to extend the gear which changed the airflow enough I was able to regain control.   Scared the crap out of me and after landing at Reno, I had a couple of stiff drinks before going to my layover.  There have been a few fatal accidents in Aztecs attributed to door pops---don't know of any other airplane wiith that problem and it doesn't happen every time either, I have afriend with an Aztec who's had a pop with no problems other than noise-- Just thought I'd mention it, good bit of info to have tucked away for the future.

WOAH!! ::unbelieveable:: ::eek:: ::eek:: I keep that in mind airtac if i ever fly an Aztec...yikes :o
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2007, 01:59:13 AM »
Yikes indeed! That sounds like a true horror-story. Very well done getting it back under control  |:)\ And thanks for sharing the story  ::wave::

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2007, 03:27:59 AM »
Dang man, that sounds pretty extreme.  No problems with ours, just lots of noise and a little bit of a workout to get it closed.  Vegas approach had a few questions when we could here them again, and those stiff drinks were definately on the menu that night
WOW I did that!

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #296 on: April 20, 2007, 10:25:03 PM »
For three years I've tried to have my friends from Sonex visit and be guest speakers for our EAA chapter meeting. Wx canceled two previous years, but yesterday was our turn! And we got TWO airplanes to visit from Oshkosh. The guys crashed out at my place overnight after the meeting (we finally called it a night somewhere around 1:30 because Kerry had to fly back and staff the Sonex tech support phone line after lunch, otherwise we probably would have kept talking all night not knowing how late it was until the sun came up). We got up at 7:00, went to breakfast, and they flew home. The airplanes were very popular at the meeting and Kerry did a great presentation. Every six months or maybe once a year you get a day in your life where everything is just perfect... mine was yesterday!

TM
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 10:28:01 PM by Turbomallard »
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

airtac

« Reply #297 on: April 21, 2007, 02:15:48 AM »
Nice pictures of nice airplanes duck |:)\

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #298 on: April 21, 2007, 03:22:15 AM »
Sounds like a great day! Funny, those planes remind me of a duck with that sloped back nose  :D

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

airtac

« Reply #299 on: April 21, 2007, 03:08:12 PM »
Sounds like a great day! Funny, those planes remind me of a duck with that sloped back nose  :D

Frank

So what else would you expect from a Mallard? ::wave::