Author Topic: The scary part begins.  (Read 6480 times)

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
The scary part begins.
« on: November 15, 2013, 06:02:28 AM »
Six years ago, I started this journey called college. So, after some ups and downs, I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I started college because I have demonstrated myself to be the world's worst at getting a job at all. I've had many odd-jobs. When it comes to resumes, applications, and interviews, I just can't seem to pull it together. That's what I'm going to have to start doing in the summer of 2014. (My classes finish in August.)

I'm going to be a qualified, but green avionics guy. Whether I get all of the certifications I've taken the coursework for is dubious, but that's really not the part I'm worried about.

Anyone out there tripping over themselves trying to find an avionics tech?

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: The scary part begins.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 08:36:18 PM »
Everywhere I have worked so far there has been a shortage of avionic techs (and A&P's as well)
I don't think it will be as hard to find a job as you think.
But you should be willing to relocate.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:01:12 PM »
Hello! I thought I'd drop in to make an update.

I finished school with a 3.5 GPA in August of 2014! Yay! I'll get into the details in a moment. For now, I'll touch on the more relevent stuff.

So, I haven't found a job yet. Well, I think It's more accurate to say I've scarcely tried to find a job yet. I've been busy. I started a relationship with a great gal in July of 2014, got engaged to her in September, and we got married in January of this year.

I've been focused more on her for the past year than anything else. She and I have been coming back down from the clouds, and we think it's time to really buckle down and start trying to get me the job I'm qualified for.

So, the details. The last two semesters of school were one hell of a ride. I came out of the second to last semester with an In Progress grade. Halfway into the last semester, I still wasn't sure I was going to make it through school. I'm sure many of you have been there, too. Those last couple of months, though.

Man, I made such a push to get through it that I really amazed myself with what I was capable of. I mean, at the beginning of the last semester I... Huh. Maybe I shouldn't mention that incident until AFTER I get a job...  ::sweat::

At any rate, I was on top of the world knowing I graduated with As in almost all of my classes. I actually had a classmate I graduated with who pulled off a 4.0.  ::unbelieveable:: He has already been working for Gulfstream for about three months now.

My wife is pretty much incredible. We're both really hurting for money, otherwise we'd get her paid up to test so she can finally get her A&P license. She graduated from a different school in May 2014.

I've been working for UPS since October. I started out as a driver helper during the holidays. I've been loading package cars (the big, brown trucks) since a week after I got married. I'm grateful for the bills it has helped me pay and the work ethic I have learned there. It's time for me to move on, though.

UPS wants me to be hired as an A&P to work in their avionics shop, so that's a door I can't quite get into right now. (Many of the larger companies seem to have the same requirement.) I am signed up for school to start earning my A&P in less than a month. After having a discussion with my wife, I think it would be good to get my A&P, but we think it would be better to get the avionics job now and see if the company that hires me will be willing to work with me to get the A&P. I don't care if they send me to school or let me study and work a lot of OJT. I just think it would be really good to add to my toolbox.

So, that's pretty much what I've got in front of me in a nutshell. Prayers and well wishes are encouraged. I'll have to pass on the beer dousing and strippers, but I know that won't stop others from enjoying themselves on my behalf.  ::rofl:: ::drinking::

It's good to visit this old forum again. I hope I'll have good news to report sooner than later. Cheers!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 01:34:59 AM »
A lot of companies need avionics techs, but it depends on where you're willing to live.  If you're really tied down to where you live now, it makes it more difficult.  Where do you live now?
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 01:00:02 AM »
I'm in San Antonio, TX.  ::cowboy::

I don't have any particular need to stay here. My wife would prefer FL, but we've also discussed KY, the Carolinas. I think we're both open to anywhere, but would prefer warmth.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 03:19:45 AM »
If you're willing to go anywhere, then there plenty of places to go.  I'm not sure about warmth being easy unless you don't mine crazy hot...

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 02:33:07 AM »
Hey Baradium!

Where are you at these days??
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 11:03:29 PM »
Still living in Alaska, running a 140 acre hay farm as well as doing the fire fighting/rescue/medical on the side.   For paid work I'm still based in Detroit and flying all around.  Typing this from Greensboro, NC and I'll be in Manchester, NH tomorrow.   

We didn't have any major forestry calls in our district this summer, but I seem to keep missing the big ones anyway.   I did buy a brush truck from the army that I transferred to the fire dept (they did reimburse me for that!)     It's a much needed boost to our capabilities.

Did you spend any time in AK this year?   I know we called out some of the forestry helicopter assets for a SAR operation around Father's Day.   I was out at work and fortunately the subjects were located before I got back to town.

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 04:50:26 AM »
Hello, again! I thought I'd post an update.

So, I did start my schooling for my A&P licenses, and just finished my first semester. I'm in the middle of what seems to be an excessively long break, but I really shouldn't complain. I managed to win one of five scholarships the program offers to the entire aviation maintenance student body. I'm extremely proud and happy to have secured it!

I started working night shift with UPS when I started school in August, but it was just taking too much of my time. I quit after a couple of months to focus on schoolwork. That has worked out well so far. Even so, I couldn't shake a sense of urgency and restlessness in me to work.

So, two Sundays ago (20 Dec), I went to Stinson Airport on a whim. (The second oldest U.S. airport in continuous operation. I DARE you to find an article on Stinson that doesn't mention that.) I met a man who was putting away a Cirrus in a large hangar while I was looking at the airplanes within. I briefly talked with him, but he said he needed to go. His name is Randy. He seemed to know the guy who ran the avionics shop on Stinson, and recommended I give him a call.

As I was walking away, a fuel truck operator came up and asked if I needed any help. His name was Steven. I told him I was just looking, but did ask him where the avionics shop on the field was. He said it was run by a man named Randy. Huh... I was just talking to a man named Randy...

So, I called the avionics shop. Turns out it was the same guy I had met. I should have done some research before I followed my whim! At any rate, he seemed really willing to have me come by and help after class when school starts up again.

Ladies and gentlemen, I may very well have pulled it off. I may have found part-time work at an avionics shop while I'm attending school to receive my A&P! I'll know more next week.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 01:35:45 PM »
That sounds very promising indeed!    Be sure to let us know how this all pans out!