Author Topic: "I was going to abort"  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
"I was going to abort"
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »
For those of you who haven't watched this,  this video is an excellent learning opportunity.     4 place airplane, high desnsity altitude, passengers filming the flight from inside.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDu0jYiz-v8&f

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: "I was going to abort"
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
wow......

this was hard to watch.

I'm glad they all made it. Kind of a miracle if you ask me.....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:38:39 AM »
Agreed on both accounts.

It's a perfect example of a go oriented mentality, and how important it is to be ready to stop for anything when it's hot and high.    It also shows how little the passengers were aware how close to disaster they were while he's trying to keep the plane in the air. 
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:28:58 PM »
They where very lucky to come out of that, good to see they all came out of it though.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »
Agreed on both accounts.

It's a perfect example of a go oriented mentality, and how important it is to be ready to stop for anything when it's hot and high.    It also shows how little the passengers were aware how close to disaster they were while he's trying to keep the plane in the air.

It was already crazy from the very beginning. He used ALL the runway! Not a good sign. Not sure at which point he should have called it and said, this is not gonna happen until it cools off. Could be pilot inexperience.
I had an "event" once where I ran out of runway (touched down too late, rookie mistake, on my first flights with friends, maybe I'll write the details down one day, but anyways) then took it into the grass a little for the last few yards to get back into the air. Scared the crap out of me!!
But my passengers thought it was awesome, I did it to show off, and wanted to do it again.
(I told them no because I had to go back to clean out my shorts and they never knew how close thay can to crashing that day.....)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 07:11:18 AM »
Not sure at which point he should have called it

The point at which he should have called it was BEFORE he ever loaded up the airplane!  This pilot clearly did not check his takeoff charts using actual weights.  Had he done so, he would have realized they were stuck until the temps cooled off.

He actually had a chance to abort, and that was the point at which the airplane settled back onto the runway.  They started the takeoff roll at :23, the pilot hauled the airplane into ground effect at :51, and then settled back onto the runway at 1:02.  Unbelievably, the pilot continued the takeoff roll and once again hauled the airplane into ground effect at 1:15!  Even then, the pilot had enough runway left to abort.  The runway end markings slide under the airplane at 1:30.  Now airborne, it is too late.  I cannot tell for sure whether they were flying into rising terrain, but it sure looks like it.  The airplane struggles mightily, but it appears to finally get out of ground effect at 1:50 but is unable to climb.  The nose is high, and the airplane is clearly on the back side of the power curve.  Somehow he clears the trees at 2:25 by hauling the nose even higher.  This gives a temporary tradeoff of airspeed for altitude, but once they start back down at 2:35 they are clearly in a stalled condition.  The pilot was out of options by then and totally SOL.  I am amazed they all survived.

Now consider:  They had an 18 second takeoff roll, which would be normal for this airplane.  But then the airplane is too slow to fly and is mushing through the ground effect, so 11 seconds later the pilot sets it back down on the runway.  Why didn't he abort?  Durned if I know.  He even had an additional 13 second long second takeoff roll on the same runway, which was more than enough time for him to reconsider his folly and stop!  He still had plenty of runway left to abort on, and even if they went off the end, they'd have walked away from the adventure unscathed.

Now I did read on another forum that this is not the first accident this particular pilot has had.  Sad to say, but it appears his judgement has been faulty on more than one occasion, and that alone brings his Certification into question.  If he was unable to learn from his first accident, I believe the FAA will be handing him over to their Legal Department for certificate action, or they may simply do an emergency revocation based solely upon the evidence of this video.

Moral of the story:  If you're going to do something stupid, DON'T LET ANYONE MAKE A VIDEO RECORDING OF IT!   ::banghead::

Rant Over

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline cotejy

• Rooster
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »
Oh this video is a pain to watch. Good thing everyone survived. It reminds me of one flight I have done on a rented airplane. I remember the lineman aksing me if he can fill the airplane. I just said "isn't C-XXXX equiped with long-range tank?" he said no. I looked in the documents, checked the empty weight, mentally added the weight of me and my passengers, full fuel for normal tanks, we were a few pounds below the max limit. I said yes, fill it. If only I have looked below the airplane empty weight, I would have see that this is a long range tanks equiped aircraft.

I knew something was wrong on the takeoff run but with all my inexperience, all I taught of doing was check the engine rpm, oil press, temp, everything was fine. Warm day and zero wind must explain it, we have a lot of runway so I decided to let it accelerate a few more seconds. I never took the abort decision. We made it, we even had a few spare inches above the airport fence. It was my last flight without a proper w&b.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 05:53:24 AM »
The average pilot is pr-disposed to be right...I know I am...

Enter SMS... Safety Management Systems... We, as in Mikey and myself and our respective companies hve adopted this. As part of the process, we complete Flight Risk AssestmenT's, (FRAT's), prior to each flight. It forces us to think of the risk factors affecting our day, and whether we should fly a particular mission..... Discuss....
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........