Author Topic: Fanwing?  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Fanwing?
« on: November 26, 2011, 03:03:22 AM »
All I have to say is...    ???

http://www.fanwing.com/

AOPA got it right.  It's like someone took the front off a combine then took a helicopter fuselage and mounted it backwards onto it and called it a flying machine.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
Re: Fanwing?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »
Interesting!

I always wonder with radically new designs: Is the reason why they haven't come up with something like that sooner because nobody has thought of it before, or because it's inefficient. Also, I'd love to know what the lift of the wing is if the propulsion would fail.

Offline Jupiter

• Fledgling
  • Aerospace engineering student
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »
not really new, been tried as early as 1910, but never was a succes. lift of the wing in case of propulsion fail seems negligable to me. Also seems rather inefficient, looks like you've got a lot more drag because of more components with interfering airflows and higher local speeds, all usually drag-increasing factors...
Studying Aerospace Engineering since 2008
Designing, building and maintaining aircraft since 2008
Drummer since 1999
Balloon support crew since 2009
Built rockets between 2008-2010

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:17:14 PM »
not really new, been tried as early as 1910, but never was a succes. lift of the wing in case of propulsion fail seems negligable to me. Also seems rather inefficient, looks like you've got a lot more drag because of more components with interfering airflows and higher local speeds, all usually drag-increasing factors...

Exactly what I thought, just much more eloquent!

Offline Dysko

• GolfVictorSpotting.it
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:47 AM »
Looks like it's an almost literal application of the Kutta-Joukowski lift theorem: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/fluids/kutta.html
In simple words, a spinning cylinder in an airflow generates lift.

The Fanwing seems useful for jobs that require a STOL aircraft (like a PC-6), however there seem to be many problems like Jupiter said.
Is there any chance that it can go in some sort of autorotation in case of engine failure?
My aircraft spotting website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Kilrah

• Fledgling
    • Photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 06:06:05 PM »
Ugh, that's ugly... maybe working the same way as helicopters?  ;D
OK, I know where the door is...

Looks like it's an almost literal application of the Kutta-Joukowski lift theorem: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/fluids/kutta.html
In simple words, a spinning cylinder in an airflow generates lift.

It rather looks like a plain old radial fan to me, just bigger...  ::thinking::

If the thing can be spun by the airflow it might be able to "autorotate"... however I'm pretty sure that if it was capable of it they'd boast it high and low, but there's no mention of anything...  ::thinking::
Can think of some serious unwanted gyroscopic effects on that big rotating thing too.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:16:09 PM by Kilrah »

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 03:16:53 AM »
From the website:
Glide with power off

R&D is now establishing the ideal angle of attack to achieve maximum rpm. If the motor stops it will be disconnected from the rotor as it is in a helicopter.  Wind-tunnel tests have shown a steady improvement in glide-autorotation. Practical proof was provided by engine failure during a test flight in 2004. The glide angle will be steep (1:3 )but the actual descent speed will be low and  rotor speed will be high enough to allow a good landing.

So it can auto rotate according to them. 

My question is what happens if you take a bird in that fan and it jams it.

Also... sometimes I forget about my avatar here and try to wipe of off my computer screen....  that is all.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »

Also... sometimes I forget about my avatar here and try to wipe of off my computer screen....  that is all.

he he, happened to me once....    ;D

Who are you flying with now? and where?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »

he he, happened to me once....    ;D

Who are you flying with now? and where?

Sorry for the delay,  I've been keeping myself busy.

I'm still flying regional jets now based out of Detroit.  It was Northwest Airlink, now Delta Connection.  We also do some turboprop flying for United.   My old company is the one that ended up being Era Alaska, now on the discovery channel.  My old roommate is still working for them, but he won't sign the release to be on TV.

I'm still living in Alaska, but moved out of town.   I elected not to get internet or cable at home.  It's amazing how much more free time I have now... although it also makes it much harder to keep up with everything online with the limited internet access.

I also found out when I came home to a heater having kicked off while I was out of town that if it gets cold enough a butane lighter will not work.  It had never occured to me that it could get too cold to light a lighter.  I also keep matches at home now.   

I understand that last week the lowest temperature ever recorded in alaska happened about 100 miles north of fairbanks at -78F       Apparently that's when the weather station broke down from the temperature and stopped recording...  at that time a friend stopped by my house to check on it and said it was -62.    It's a much warmer -2F (-19C) there right now.

This is one of the coldest winters on record, the coldest in the past 20 years and it still has an opportunity to end up being the coldest on record before it's all said and done.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:38:18 PM by Baradium »

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »
Beautiful little cabin. I would love to own something like that, and in that sort of scenery |:)\
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 10:54:27 PM »
Beautiful little cabin. I would love to own something like that, and in that sort of scenery |:)\

Thank you,   there is much better scenery availible up here than what I have, but I do mightily enjoy the peace and quiet.    Although sometimes the air force does oblige me with a view of F-16s, F-22s and KC-135s.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »
Beautiful place!
I always wanted to live in such a cabin for a while and write the books I keep talking about writing....

Looks like a shortage of beer and girls in that area though, huh?!   ;)

Well, more time to write I guess......
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 12:58:38 AM »
Beautiful place!
I always wanted to live in such a cabin for a while and write the books I keep talking about writing....

Looks like a shortage of beer and girls in that area though, huh?!   ;)

Well, more time to write I guess......

By the time the ambulance is done, it would be perfect to set up in a remote location for something like that.  ;)

Let me know when you're ready