Author Topic: El Paso Chile Con Queso  (Read 7238 times)

Offline KELPkid

El Paso Chile Con Queso
« on: February 13, 2006, 09:25:23 PM »
An irresistible, albeit hot, cheese dip that any aviator (even Chuck himself!) can concoct in about 30 minutes:

WARNING: Makes a HUGE Mess

WARNING: Makes enough to feed a small army-repeated consumption by aviators not recommended, as it may adversely affect weight and balance

background: In Spanish, "Chile Con Queso" means Chile with cheese

ingredientes ("Ingredients"):

2 pound block of Velveeta cheese
1 16oz. jar of Pace Thick 'n Chunky picante sauce (you choose the hotness)
1 onion (I prefer red, but you may sub in your own favorite variety)
2 4 Oz. cans Old El Paso diced green chiles

Directions:

Dice 1/2 of onion.   Pour salsa into 6 quart non-stick cooking pot.  Add diced onion, diced green chiles.  Place cooking pot onto stove, and heat to medium.  While stirring, add block of Velveeta (cut into smaller blocks) to pot.  Heat on medium 15-20 minutes.  Once mixture is yellow-orange in color, and has no lumps (i.e. the cheese is thoroughly melted), turn heat to lowest setting.

May be placed in crock pot ("Keep Warm" setting) for serving once cooked, however it is recommended that you keep a lid on the crock pot, and a spoon nearby to stir it occasionally (10 min. or so)-it does burn easily if left totally unattended.

Best enjoyed with fresh, locally available tortilla chip triangles, as a dip :)  Can also be placed on top of refried beans, inside a tortilla, etc.

Perfect for: superbowl parties, large family gatherings, etc.
If you keep the greasy side down and avoid the cumulus granitus, respect the MEAs and mind the needles, then a successful flight you will have

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
Re: El Paso Chile Con Queso
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 02:11:26 AM »
We used to dump some Rotel tomatoes and Velveeta together to melt. Quick and easy.
I'll try yours, though. Sounds tasty.